Monday, October 25, 2021

SLIS 761 - Blob Post 8: KEVA Planks

Because I am a library student, all makerspace tools, toys, and components are pretty new to me.  I can proudly say I am a blank slate – ready to be molded by experts who have gone before me and who were once, themselves, blank slates!

While exploring blogs surrounding makerspace related topics, I discovered an interesting toy that I think would be both simple for a novice librarian to employ and valuable in terms of learning opportunities for students. Engaging with KEVA planks, a type of building block, helps children to develop their spatial reasoning, engineering skills and communication skills as they work together to create something new (Dewer, 2018).

In her blog, Frugal Fun for Boys and Girls, homeschool mom, Sarah Dees (2015) shares how she uses KEVA planks to stimulate learning with her children at home.  The activities she highlights in Five Engineering Challenges With KEVA Planks are specifically suitable for ages five and up and are also very appropriate for library use. One of the things that really impresses me about KEVA planks is their appeal to a wide range of age groups. Look how engaged these seventh-grade students are in the video below as they attempt to meet a challenge!  



Their enthusiastic participation is a great visual representation of Britton’s (2012) stated observation that, "Someone who wants to do something because it is fun is more likely to find an activity to be meaningful than someone who is doing something for a reward or to learn something.  When someone is engaged in a playful space, that person will learn more easily" (No Tools Required). 

As an aspiring librarian with no experience with makerspaces, the prospect of creating one from scratch is a little daunting. The amazing technology that many expert librarians promote can quickly cause me shy away feeling as if the prospect is slightly outside of my abilities.  But, like all new skills we have to begin in the same fashion that one eats an elephant…one bite at a time.  I think KEVA planks may just be the perfect first bite!

 

Bonus: 

Use the free printable challenge/task cards found here to get your elementary students started with KEVA Planks.

 and

For ideas of how to use KEVA planks with high school students, look here!


References

Britton, L. (2012, October 1). The makings of maker spaces, part 1: Space for creation not just consumption. Library Journal. http://www.thedigitalshift.com/2012/10/public-services/the-makings-of-maker-spaces-part-1-space-for-creation-not-just-consumption/

Dees, S. (2015, August 10). Five engineering challenges with KEVA planks. Frugal Fun For Boys and Girls. https://frugalfun4boys.com/five-engineering-challenges-with-keva-planks/

Dewer, G. (2018). Why toy blocks rock: The science of construction play. Parenting Science. https://parentingscience.com/toy-blocks/

5 comments:

  1. DeAnna, Those blocks look really cool. I love things that appeal to a wide variety of age groups. I am with you when you say that creating a Makerspace from scratch is daunting. The thing that I like about Makerspace the most is that you don't need fancy technology and lots of money to get started. I have done two projects on Makerspace and this weeks material was the first time I have seen plain coloring in a makerspace. I know that the students would LOVE that. I think one way that I will take on the Makerspace challenge is to start small and cheap. As I gain more experience and see what the kids like, I will invest in larger things that cost more money. I think kids can be like cats. You can buy them lots of toys but they would rather play with the bag instead of the toy. I think kids would like to build robots out of boxes just as much as building them out of expensive kits.
    -Crystal Smoak

    ReplyDelete
  2. DeAnna,
    My favorite part about this post was the video showing a classroom bursting full of focused energy! I love that every single student was super into the task at hand! These planks are new to me, and what I find cool is that I imagine they would be new to many of the students as well, which always creates space for excitement and imaginations to run wild! Thanks for sharing this, it really is so cool how much is out there to explore. I am in the same boat as you are in that makerspaces were a new concept to me when I started in the SLIS program last year, and now they are one of my favorite things to learn about and explore! Thanks for your post! -Kristen DeAnne Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this blog. I'm new to makerspaces as well and somewhat intimidated by the cost of many of them. I like that this blog included task cards that could be adapted to a homemade version of these planks.

    My daughters kindergarten class is working on developing a loose parts play area, which is also new to me. Essentially they are collecting a lot of recycled items like wooden blocks, cans, and pots and pans. Their philosophy seems to be more free play, but I like that you could use task cards to create challenges for older kids using the same materials.

    This explains loose parts a little better: https://www.education.sa.gov.au/sites/default/files/npsa-familyday-care-loose-parts.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter (8) loves to tinker, and I have had so many people suggest these KEVA planks to me. I just might have to look into it more even if not for a library! It seems like it could easily connect with the science and math curriculum to provide specific support on engineering-like skills. And as the video implied, a little competition makes everything better. -Tiffany Forrest

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you highlighted the Keva planks. When I first saw them in this week's lecture video I was intrigued. They reminded me of Jenga pieces, but I love all the uses for them. I am interested in a set of these if not for my Makerspace, then for my own classroom resources.

    ReplyDelete

SLIS 794 - Teacher Librarian Interview #4

I nterview date:  March 4, 2022 Librarian and school:  Tricia Candor (Librarian) and Tara Parker (Librarian Assistant) at College Park Eleme...