Saturday, September 4, 2021

SLIS 761 - Blog Post #2: Information Literacy and Fake News

I tend to be skeptical of sensationalized news “information.”  I can’t recall a specific time when I was taught how to evaluate information or to be cautious of certain presentation styles. This trait feels like part of my personality but, I am sure it has undoubtedly been nurtured by teachers and shaped by experiences along the way.

I frequently interact with people who become very intense when conversations center around political topics.  Heightened emotions stemming from the acceptance of sensationalized news and an inability to consider whether the information may be incomplete or written with a biased lens often stands in the way of what could otherwise be an interesting conversation.  As Valenza (2016) points out, and many people fail to consider, is that "Professional journalists engage in rigorous fact-checking and adhere to sets of professional ethics, but they are not entirely immune to bias or agenda or the pressures of a deadline."  It is nearly impossible to eliminate bias entirely so we must simply learn to recognize it.

Because of these personal experiences which sometimes become uncomfortable interactions, I tend to avoid mixing current events into the adult education content I teach.  I realize that current events is a great topic for generating students’ interest, but I worry about opening a big bag of emotionally charged worms inside my classroom. 

The readings and resources shared in this week's module have challenged my reluctance to avoid using news and current events as part of my instruction. Digital literacy has been a huge focus for my program the last few years. Since most adults today rely on digital news sources (Valenza, 2016), not addressing information literacy skills, particularly how to determine the validity of a news source, leaves holes in my students’ education.  

As a future school librarian, I will need to practice, model, and be familiar with resources and strategies that help one evaluate information. Collecting and sharing these resources with my current students and working with them to develop information literacy skills is a great opportunity to begin developing teaching strategies and talking points that might be organically woven into conversations with future students while assisting them in the library or that might become the basis for teacher trainings.


Some digital literacy resources I’ve added to my new collection this week:

 


Reference

Valenza, J. (2016). Truth, truthiness, triangulation: A news literacy toolkit for a “post-truth” world. School Library Journal. https://blogs.slj.com/neverendingsearch/2016/11/26/truth-truthiness-triangulation-and-the-librarian-way-a-news-literacy-toolkit-for-a-post-truth-world/

                               

1 comment:

  1. DeAnna,

    I appreciate your honesty about your current practices with your students. I feel like I don’t focus enough on current events in my classroom either. I want to but simply run out of time for the content I’m required to teach. Not to mention the time it takes to weave current events into your lessons effectively. I agree that it is essential for our students’ education, so we must strive to do it more. This is also why collaboration between the school librarian and teachers is so crucial!

    -Taylor Pineiro

    ReplyDelete

SLIS 794 - Teacher Librarian Interview #4

I nterview date:  March 4, 2022 Librarian and school:  Tricia Candor (Librarian) and Tara Parker (Librarian Assistant) at College Park Eleme...